A gyro or gyros (Greek pronunciation: [ˈʝiros][note 1]) (Greek: γύρος, gyros, literally 'turn') is a Greek dish made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie, traditionally pork, or chicken, and outside of Greece with beef, veal or lamb, and usually served wrapped in a flatbread such as pita, with tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce. With this recipe you can reproduce the taste of meat cooked in a vertical rotisserie in your kitchen home oven. Enjoy...!
PREP TIME: 15m | COOK TIME: 45m | Ready in: 2h
INGREDIENTS:Special Tzatziki Sauce
· 1 large English cucumber, peeled and grated
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 2 cups Greek yogurt
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
· 1/2 lemon, juiced
· 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
· 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
· salt and ground black pepper to taste
· 1 sprig fresh dill for garnish
· 1 pinch cayenne pepper for garnish
Classic Gyro Meat
· 1/2 onion, cut into chunks
· 1 pound ground lamb or pork
· 1 pound ground beef
· 1 tablespoon minced garlic
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
· 1 teaspoon ground dried rosemary
· 1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
· 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
· 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
To Make the Gyro Pita Wrap Sandwich
· 6-8 pieces of thin pita bread (not pocket pita)
· olive oil
· 1 medium onion, sliced
· 2 tomatoes, sliced
· 1 medium cucumber, sliced
PREPARATION:Special Tzatziki Sauce
1.Sprinkle grated cucumber with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl and let stand 10 to 15 minutes to draw out juice.
2. Place yogurt into a separate bowl. Dump cucumber and its juice onto a sturdy, dry paper or cloth towel and squeeze as much moisture as possible from the cucumber. Mix cucumber into yogurt. Add garlic, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice; mix thoroughly.
3. Stir dill and mint into yogurt-cucumber mixture; season with salt and black pepper. Adjust all seasonings to taste. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 or 4 hours (or overnight).
4. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with a sprig of dill and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for color.
For the Classic Gyro Meat: